Last weekend I went to Rosewater for their Summerlicious $23 lunch menu with a group of six fellow foodies. We all ordered similar dishes, so here is a list of our orders and the general consensus about them:
- Iceberg Lettuce Carpaccio with blue cheese, double smoked bacon, avocado, and peppercorn buttermilk dressing
- Pea and Mascarpone Ravioli with truffled chardonnay butter, and pea tendril salad
- Chilled Peaches and Cream Corn Soup with grilled zucchini, heirloom tomato, and basil oil
- Thoughts? The Ice Berg Lettuce Carpaccio is quite hearty and filling, while the Pea and Mascarpone Ravioli had a nice filling but felt a bit sparse (only 5 pcs). The Chilled Peaches and Corn Soup was okay but no one really loved it. It’s served as a cold soup and I have yet to meet one that I like.
- Everspring Farms Pan Roasted Duck Breast with asparagus and king oyster mushroom salad, risolle potato, raspberry vinegar jus
- Steak Frites with parmesan rosemary frites, rosewater baby greens, green peppercorn sauce
- Thoughts? Friends who ordered the Duck Breast enjoyed it, mentioning it was tender and nicely sliced. The food presentation was good too. Most of us ordered the Steak Frites but I was a bit wary about how substantial it would be. Turns out, it is quite filling and well proportioned. Steak was nice and tender too.
- Grilled Berry Hill Farm Peaches with honey whipped ricotta, black pepper balsamic syrup, brown sugar streusel
- Trio of House Spun Sorbets with fresh berries
- Thoughts? I ordered the Farm Peaches and was a bit disappointed with it. The peaches were not cooked and not like how I envisioned. I think they should have caramelized them, it would make them taste so much better. For the Sorbet, they were a bit too hard from the freezer. My friend had a bit of trouble getting their spoon in.
- White Sangria $6
- Strawberry Sunset $6
- Thoughts? Both were nice, the Strawberry was obviously much sweeter. Prices are pretty reasonable for drinks.
In general, Rosewater is a solid pick for Licious events but I think they need to work on their dessert menu. It was a bit disappointing.
I would still recommend this restaurant for lunches and dinners with friends, family or co-workers though. The interior is quite nice and my favourite spots are the back tufted chairs if dining for two and the private glass room on the second floor if you are dining with a big group. They provide nice views over the restaurant.
Location: 19 Toronto Street, Toronto, ON
Telephone: (416) 214-5888
Summerlicious Hours – July 3 to 26: Lunch: Monday – Saturday 11.30am-2pm, Dinner: Monday – Saturday 5.30pm